What is New Age Spirituality?
I have found many definitions of New Age Spirituality.
I haven’t found much consensus, but for the most part they all agree that new age spirituality is a religious/spiritual movement that started sometime in the 1970s.
Some literature refers to it as New Thought, while bookstores sometimes have new age and spiritual books in the Mind-Body-Spirit section, or they call them self-help.
Who is the founder of the New Age Movement?
The founder of the New Age movement has been credited to Helena Petrovna Blavatsky, a Russian mystic, medium, philosopher, and co-founder of the Theosophical Society, who announced the coming of a New Age.
Although she was born in 1831, the actual new age movement fully started around the 1970s, brought by American theosophist David Spangler.
Madam Blavatsky, as she is better known, believed that Earth was about to experience the Aquarian Age, a time when humanity was going to be more enlightened.
She thought that Earth was finally going to experience peace, and there would be an end to racism, poverty, sickness, and hunger.
Blavatsky brought spiritual teachings and wisdom from the East to the West. Although numerous people have tried to provide an accurate account of her life, there are multiple discrepancies between authors.
She published several spiritual books and articles. The most popular was The Secret Doctrine, a commentary on what she claimed were ancient Tibetan manuscripts, as well as two further books, The Key to Theosophy and The Voice of the Silence.
What are New Age Practices
New age and spiritual concepts have become more mainstream in the past 3 or 4 decades, thanks to the popularity of the Law of Attraction and other topics, such as:
- Reincarnation theories and past lives
- Moon cycles
- Divination, numerology, and Oracle cards
- Energy healing, and alternative therapies
It is worth noting that most of the above practices, termed “new age” are rooted in ancient spiritual traditions, primarily coming from the East, such as meditation, Chakras, or smudging.
Unfortunately, new age spirituality practices have a negative reputation for being “too hippie,” “woo-woo,” ungodly, or lacking science.
So, why did I start a new age and spirituality blog, and what does it mean for me?
What is new age spirituality blog (this one)?
I started this blog with a twofold mission:
- To empower and encourage you to find your life purpose and fulfill your dreams.
- To demystify and provide a solid foundation of new age and spiritual topics (topics such as the Spiritual Laws of life, manifesting abundance, and using alternative therapies, to name a few—so you can understand them and make them work for you.)
I have always been very fond of new age and spiritual books (or call them mind-body-spirit books). I have read hundreds of them, and they helped me immensely through my teen years and beyond.
Characteristics of New Age Spirituality. What is new age spirituality for me?
For me New Age Spirituality is a set of beliefs and practices that combines scientific, religious, philosophical, and metaphysical approaches to provide a holistic approach to manifesting abundance, understanding the meaning of life, and healing the mind, body, and soul.
- I believe humanity is not a random accident; there is a reason why we are here, and each one of us has a purpose in life we have come to fulfill, a reason and purpose which we planned before reincarnating.
2. Once on Earth, we are subject to Spiritual laws that govern life. You might have heard of the Law of Attraction, which is one of them.
3. I believe in a holistic approach to healing our emotions and physical bodies. But I also believe and use conventional medicine.This blog aims to provide a sensible approach with both. In my opinion, life is not black and white.
I wrote a post about the truth about conventional medicine and alternative therapies because holistic healing has received terrible press from conventional medicine, yet I have experienced immense relief with it (particularly with acupuncture and Reiki).
At the same time, if it wasn’t for conventional medicine I would have never survived the delivery of my first child.
People survive brain tumors because of conventional medicine. There is a time and a place for both conventional and alternative therapies.
4. Not all psychics and mediums are bad, but like in all trades in life, there is people with honest, helpful intent and people that just want to take advantage of you and your vulnerability.
It is sad, but unfortunately, it is a reality.
Because there are several fake healers and psychics, they have provided a horrible reputation to all things new age and spiritual, which is a shame because there are also plenty of honest and amazing alternative practitioners.
4. You don’t have to know about any new age topics to be spiritual. I believe in God, but you can be an atheist and an old soul too.
Despite society’s eagerness to make everything either right or wrong, I believe there are many paths that arrive at the same destination.
This is one of my favorite quotes:
There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong. —Hindu Proverb
New age and spiritual concepts might be what you need just now, or they might not be.
At the end of the day we are all on different paths, but in general I believe we are all trying to achieve the same things: to be happy, to heal from emotional wounds, to get along with people, to have valuable friends, a pleasant social life, and a comfortable and prosperous lifestyle.
The only difference is how we go about them.
If you wish to continue reading this blog this will be the best first post:
You might also want to visit our RESOURCES page, with the best courses, books, journals, and oracle cards to transform your life.