Daily positive affirmations
I love daily positive affirmations. I need them more often than I realize. They kick me out of negative thinking pretty fast when I do them intentionally and consistently.
There is plenty of evidence that suggests daily positive self-affirmations are effective. A study by the Carnegie Melon University and published by POS proved that self-affirmations improved problem-solving under stress.
Eighty undergraduates who were under chronic stress were randomly assigned to either a self-affirmation or control condition. They then completed 30 difficult remote associate problem-solving items under time pressure in front of an evaluator. Results showed that doing affirmations really improved their problem-solving performance.
Positive affirmations for success, when done consistently (ideally daily, a few times a day), can dramatically change your day and your finances.
I have found that reading inspirational and motivational quotes can be a huge motivational boost too.
You can use positive affirmations for many things:
- To improve your health
- To raise your self-confidence
- To motivate yourself to get things done
- To overcome bad habits or patterns you don’t like
- To heal difficult relationships (with Ho’oponopono)
- To reprogram your subconscious mind and create new useful automatic habits
This post will look at affirmations for inspiration and success.
What are affirmations? Affirmations definition
Affirmations are positive and simple statements that are meant to be repeated over and over to achieve a desirable result.
The main aim of repeating something to ourselves is to attract what we desire and/or to overcome self-sabotaging and negative thoughts.
Affirmations and quotes are great ways to keep us motivated and happy.
Another study “Preventing depression in high-risk college women,” showed these women experienced a greater decrease in depressive symptoms and negative thinking and a greater increase in self-esteem than those in the control group, who did not use affirmations.
I use affirmations often, and they have helped me immensely in the past. I use them particularly when I feel negative about a situation or a condition.
For example, in the days before an interview, I might say to myself, repeatedly: “I’m smart. I’m confident,” “I know what I am doing,” “I am the perfect fit for this role,” or when I don’t feel well or if I feel down, I might say: “I’m strong,” “I can get through this,” “I am healthy.” I do this while I also make an effort to walk tall and stand straight. It always makes a difference.
As a side note, it is clear that you also need to be prepared for the interview and do as much preliminary work as possible to be ready (dressing appropriately, knowing about the company who you are interviewing with, preparing questions, etc). But the point of the affirmations is to give you that added extra boost, to raise your vibration, reprogram your subconscious mind, and project a much more confident persona when the times comes to be interviewed.
You can test if affirmations work for you. Look in the mirror and say to yourself:
1. I never get things done. I’m not smart enough. I’m fat.
2. I’m doing my best. I am powerful. I can do this!
You will likely feel awful when affirming option 1, and much more positive and powerful with option 2.
The Law of Affirmation says that we bring about what we affirm. This law is closely connected to the Law of Attraction. If we continuously affirm that we are useless, we will attract to ourselves situations that reinforce our belief that we are useless.
There is power in talking nice to ourselves!
Why affirmations work
The reason why affirmations work relates to how our subconscious mind works.
Have you ever reacted to a minor accident?
What’s really happening is that the same type of unwanted behavior, or situation, has happened enough times to be permanently sealed in your subconscious mind, which is a million times more powerful than your conscious mind, and one more occurrence of the same issue pushes you over the top.
The subconscious mind runs all the programs of automatic behavior. We learn how to drive, and then one day without our conscious effort we arrive at our destination. It has probably happened to you: You get in your car, you start driving, and then you take the road to work although you didn’t mean to go that way and it was your day off.
You can use affirmations to learn new habits because your subconscious mind:
- Learns from patterns and the repetition of patterns.
- It doesn’t create new ideas, it just accepts as true those the conscious mind thinks are true. By accessing that deeper mind, you can rewrite those issues and habits.
In the end, we come to believe whatever we are repeatedly told, or whatever we repeat to ourselves.
Affirmations – helpful tips
The following are some tips to help you write your affirmations:
1. Make your affirmations in first person, possible, uplifting, firm, and unwavering.
You need to affirm that which you resonate with because affirmations carry their own vibration.
“I manifest a million dollars in the near future” might not feel doable or achievable (particularly if you have been struggling financially for a long time).
You might choose instead, “Everything always works out for me. What is meant for me will always find me.” (“The quote “Why worry? what is meant for you will always find you,” is attributed to an Indian Poet-Saint called Lalleshwari.)
There is a lot of power in repetition.
You will be reprogramming your subconscious mind to accept what you affirm as the new reality, and it will create circumstances to bring about what you now believe.
There isn’t a set amount of times that you need to repeat an affirmation because every situation is different. My recommendation is that you repeat the affirmation until you feel a shift in your thinking, your outlook in life, or until you have achieved what you need.
3. Be positive, short, and use I AM phrases as much as possible.
“I am” is the strongest creative statement in the universe.
Instead of saying “I am debt-free” (your subconscious mind reads “debt”), try instead “I am wealthy beyond measure.”
Ensure the sentence is short, concise. Short sentences are much more powerful and to the point than longer ones.
Our subconscious mind doesn’t compute negatives.
It is like a computer that can’t take negative commands. When you are told, “don’t think of an elephant,” the first image that comes to mind is… an elephant.
We can’t desire something, focus on the absence of it, and expect to receive it. An example of a negative affirmation is “I don’t want to be broke,” or “I am not poor anymore.”
Even on normal day to day situations, instead of saying “Don’t forget to do your homework,” it is best to say, “Remember to do your homework,” or “Stay on the pavement,” instead of “Don’t cross the road.”
Remember to ask for what you want, not what you don’t want. Otherwise, you might be unconsciously sabotaging your own manifesting.
Watch the power of your words, for you will believe and execute what you repeatedly tell yourself. “I’m always late.” “It is difficult to make new friends.” “I always catch a cold in the winter.”
Affirmations can be very powerful tools for manifestation, but you need to use them the right way. At the same time, they are not imperative for success. I’m sure there are a lot of wealthy and successful people who have never used an affirmation in their lives (or at least not consciously).
Many paths arrive at the same destination. Use your intuition and discernment to decide what works for you.
4. Tie your affirmations to your goals. Make them significant for you.
If you write your goals, use affirmations, visualizations, and a vision board you can achieve your results much faster. I have explained further down in this post how you can use visualization and a vision board to manifest what you want.
Use all these three tools and expect amazing results!
5. Watch your body posture
Body posture can significantly affect the efficacy of the affirmations and our overall wellbeing.
In 2016 I saw a brilliant TED talk by Amy Cuddy, New York Times Bestseller and author of Presence: Bringing Your Boldest Self to Your Biggest Challenges. (TED is a non-profit organization devoted to spreading ideas, usually in the form of short, powerful talks.)
Cuddy says that merely assuming a “power pose” – for example, standing like Wonder Woman – can change your body chemistry and make you feel more confident in anxiety-induced situations such as interviews, first dates, or giving a talk.
You can use this technique in multiple scenarios, but this can be particularly helpful along with affirmations.
I tend to walk with my head down and slightly hunched when I’m disappointed, tired, or overall run down. I look defeated, it is not good.
I was discussing this issue with a friend who told me that after his back surgery his doctor recommended that he walked “tall.” (With his back fully straight and purposely extra tall, almost like an overconfident person). He said that not only was this helping his recovery, but he was feeling more self-assured.
Try it, walk tall and say your affirmations. I think it will have a significant positive impact on your well-being.
6. Write your affirmations down and take them with you.
Put your affirmations on note cards, write them down on your phone, or leave them in plain sight, maybe in your bathroom. Whatever you do make sure you can see them and remember to say them often.
Affirmations and visualization
Visualization is not directly tied to affirmations (you visualize, not affirm); however, visualization is another fantastic mind tool —along with meditation— to manifest your desires so I have included it in this post.
Visualization, through the Law of Attraction, magnetizes and attracts to you the people, resources, and opportunities you need to achieve your goals.
The visualization process is simple: sit somewhere comfortably, close your eyes, and imagine, as vividly as you can the outcome that you would like to happen in your life.
- If you are a professional runner, you might visualize yourself running the fastest ever crossing the finish line first. Imagine this and make it real, see all your friends and family cheering you on. See how elated and happy you are. Put your arms in the air and enjoy that moment.
- If you want a new home, visualize every aspect of it: for example, how it looks inside or getting a call from your realtor saying you closed on it at the price you wanted.
Visualizations and affirmations need to be done with great emotion because emotions energize our thoughts and propel them to the outer world. That which we feel strongly, we will experience. The more passion and excitement the better.
Visualization works for the same reason affirmations do: Our subconscious mind has no idea what is real or what is not. It only knows what the conscious mind tells it, so by placing positive and uplifting pictures in our mind, repeatedly, our subconscious mind activates them as real.
Visualization is a well-known tool used by top athletes. It has long been a part of elite sports.
The New York Times published an article called Olympians Use Imagery as Mental Training.
From the article:
Imagery has seldom been more in evidence than in Sochi, where the starting areas have been full of Olympians going through the motions, figuratively or literally. “Oh, yeah, it’s ridiculous; we’re all up there flapping our arms,” Cook said. “It looks insane, but it works.”
I recommend that you visualize after or before meditating (if you meditate).
Please see the book recommendations below for a great visualization book.
Moving on, another great tool along with affirmations is visual boards.
Affirmations and visual boards
A vision board is a poster on which you create a collage of images you have collected from various places.
The images you put on a vision board relate to your desires: a picture of a new car, receiving a trophy, a happy family life, or a holiday destination.
Vision boards work because symbols are very powerful. They bypass all our thoughts and beliefs regarding what we think it is possible for us to have. When we have faith in a vision it must succeed. For that reason, we need to use images that are inspiring and make us feel good.
You can use a mix of magazine images, angel or tarot cards with nice images or phrases, Internet images (you can search on the internet the image you are looking for, or you can buy it), and your own photos.
A vision board combines images with words and/or affirmations.
Not everybody puts words on their board. I like putting a mission statement on top of the board that says what I’m trying to accomplish (my intent).
I also write words that have a meaning for me; for example, “In the next three months” or “Thank you.”
You can use one theme for the board; for example, it can be all about your career, or you can use many themes, like putting a picture of the house of your dreams and a desired vacation destination.
Once you have your vision board, look at it daily, even for a few moments. Energize it by saying thank you, feeling grateful and positive for what is to come.
As with visualization, you might want to look at your vision board before or after meditation. By doing all 3 in succession, that is, visualizing, meditating, and looking at your vision board (the order doesn’t matter) you will experience a massive boost of motivation and you will attract what you want quicker.
When you look at your vision board, imagine you already have whatever it is in it and jump for joy.
The better you feel doing this exercise, the quicker you will bring about what you want.
You can find a lot of free content and explanations on how to make a vision board at Make a Vision Board webpage. If you prefer to read a book on it, please see the recommended books section at the end of this post.
Before I delve into our 78 powerful affirmations, I want to share two standalone longer “affirmations” (or prayers) to be repeated for healing and success. They have made a great difference in my life.
The Huna Prayer for abundance
The Huna Prayer is an affirmation (prayer) to be repeated for 30 days to bring abundance to our lives.
I haven’t been able to verify this, but I have read that the Huna Prayer for abundance was given to the late Joshua David Stone by Djwhal Khul. There are many websites and YouTube Channels that offer this prayer with little or no credit given, so I’m assuming it is not copyrighted.
This is the Huna Prayer for abundance:
Beloved Presence of God
I humbly ask and pray with all my heart and soul and mind and might, for divine abundance made manifest through personal fortune and success.
I am willing to move beyond fear in order to fulfill Gods plan on Earth and beyond.
I personally pledge myself to financial wealth in order to fulfill my group and individual service commitments.
In Gods name, I accept my Divine Heritage right now, and thank thee for the timely answer to this prayer. Gods will be done. Amen.
(X3 – say the above aloud three times)
Lord, let the rain of blessings fall. Amen
This should be repeated every day for thirty days.
Alternative Huna Prayer
I have read that the Huna prayer can also work doing your own wording for what you desire, but you need to ensure that at the end of your affirmation or prayer you say:
May the rain of blessings fall! So be it.
And repeat daily for 30 days.
I read this affirmation (I think) in one of Diana Cooper’s books, but I can’t remember which one. Or maybe it was in her newsletter. I always feel better after it. It is freeing and empowering. Say it as often as you feel you need it or until you feel an internal shift.
This is Diana Cooper’s forgiveness affirmation, or prayer:
I forgive everyone who has ever hurt or harmed me, consciously or unconsciously, in this lifetime or any other, in this universe, dimension, plane, or level of existence or any other.
I offer them grace.
I ask forgiveness for everything I have ever done to hurt or harm another, consciously or unconsciously, in this lifetime or any other, in this universe, dimension, plane or level of existence or any other.
I ask for grace.
I forgive myself for everything I have ever done to hurt or harm another,
consciously or unconsciously, in this lifetime or any other, in this universe, dimension, plane or level of existence or any other.
I accept grace.
I am free. All chains and restrictions fall from me. I stand in my full power as a master.
X 3 (say all above statements 3 times)
So be it. It is done.
78 powerful positive affirmations for inspiration and success
1. My success is unavoidable!
2. Today is going to be a really, really good day!
3. I forget my past, I forgive myself and others, and I begin again right now.
4. My opportunities are limitless.
5. My heart knows. I trust and follow my intuition.
6. I am always learning and growing. Learning comes easily to me.
7. Happiness is my priority.
8. Happiness is my priority.
9. I only look back to see how far I’ve become.
10. The universe is working on my behalf. All is well.
11. I am aligned with my highest potential!
12. I am doing my best. And that is enough.
13. My dreams are within reach! I follow my dreams.
14. I can accomplish anything I put my mind to.
15. I have a great life.
16. I deserve to have money.
17. My business allows me to have the life I love.
18. I speak with confidence.
19. I am always in the right place at the right time.
20. I am divinely guided. I quiet my mind and listen.
21. My path is unfolding perfectly. My future is bright!
22. It is easy for me to find a job.
23. I take time out to recharge. I deserve it.
24. I take back my power. It is safe to be successful.
25. It is safe to ask for help when I need it.
26. The past has no power over me. I choose to be happy now.
27. There is always a way out if I need it. I trust this to be true.
28. I am a money magnet. My income is constantly increasing.
29. I am grateful for the job I have. I am appreciated.
30. I am always going to be guided to make my life work. I listen to my intuition.
31. I am deeply fulfilled in my career.
32. I have all the time in the world. I accomplish things easily.
33. I believe in my ability to create miracles.
34. I have fantastic creative ideas.
35. Abundance is at my doorstep. My income is expanding rapidly.
36. I am confident in the presence of others.
37. Good things are coming to me. I can feel it!
38. I get things done. I can accomplish what I set my mind to do.
39. My business is expanding beyond my expectations.
40. My creativity is always in demand.
41. Everything always works out for me. What is meant for me will always find me.
42. I always make the right decisions for the highest good of all.
43. I follow my dreams.
44. I am willing to change and grow.
45. I can get through this. I have done it before and I can do it now.
46. I trust my inner wisdom.
47. I put myself first.
48. Everything is possible!.
49. I am committed to my goals. I create the life I love.
51. I create the prosperity I need and deserve. It is always a good time to begin!
52. I stand on my own two feet. I am ready to take responsibility for my life.
53. I am on my side. I make decisions with ease.
54. My life is filled with joy and abundance.
55. I live every day to the fullest.
56. My actions create my prosperity.
57. I attract new clients quickly and effortlessly. I get more work than I can handle.
58. All doors of opportunity open for me. I am ready to change my life.
59. I have unlimited energy.
60. A new beginning is near!
61. I look forward with confidence. The universe supports my mission.
62. Everything I need to know is revealed to me.
63. Whatever happens I know I can handle it.
64. I trust the path that is unfolding for me. I am always in the right place at the right time.
65. My work is meaningful. I enjoy all the work that I do.
66. It is time for me to shine! Everything is possible.
67. Everything I touch turns to gold.
68. I make a difference in the world.
69. My challenges bring me better opportunities.
70. Money flows to me easily.
71. I am open to opportunities which come to me easily.
72. I create the life I love.
73. I always find time to do the things I love.
74. I can achieve any goals I set. I am smart and determined.
75. Happiness and love are my birthrights.
76. My clients are aligned with my vision and goals.
77. I let go of all expectations, knowing that only good is coming my way.
78. I am wealthy beyond measure.
Did I miss any affirmations you like? Do you have any questions? Please let me know in the comments below